Sutton Market Place
Sutton Council is progressing plans to update and improve the northern end of the High St.
The development of Sainsbury’s and new flats on the Old Gas Works site will lead to a much improved High St on the corner with Crown Road. The plans include a new square with cafes and shops.
Ruth, Marlene and Steve in the High St
By comparison, the part of the High St from Marshalls Road to Benhill Road (outside Asda and beyond) has become unattractive, with a number of empty shops.
Sutton Council has obtained funding from the GLA to make improvements to this area. For more details see here
The plans were developed following consultation with shoppers and shop-owners. They include:
- improved shop fronts
- repainted upper storeys to highlight the architectural features
- a clearly marked entrance to the pedestrian area
- improved seating and planting for a better environment
- a more active High St with more family activities and events
- more welcoming and safer-seeming alleyways
A range of family friendly events were held over the summer including:
- The Big Dance bus
- Youth Games Day.
- finger knitting and yarn bombing
- open air cinema
- crafternoon in the alleyways
Planning permission has been granted for two ‘pop up’ shop kiosks outside Asda’s.
Art murals inspired by H G Wells have been erected in the alleyways. One based on The Invisible Man – stand beneath the hats to get the effect, and the other inspired by his science fiction – the stars light up when flash photos are taken.
Plans are progressing or work on the shop fronts and upper storeys.